Friday, June 19, 2009

mmmmmm......berries......

I'm going off topic today because we went berry picking yesterday and I just had to share the experience - it was fantastic! The girls and I, along with friends went to American River Cherry Company in Placerville. It is a family owned and run property sitting on rolling hills with a beautiful view.Here's B. picking olallie berries. They were so sweet as long as we stuck we with the dark ones. There were rows and rows of olallies, marions, boysenberries, and raspberries.

Then we strolled over to the blueberry bushes. As you can see, they were just turning ripe so selective picking was in order....and oh are they sweet! My kids can put away blueberries like it's candy. A short walk down the hill brought us to the cherry trees. There was plenty of fruit left on low branches for the kids to easily reach and we quickly filled more baskets. I was a little worried about how much this would all cost. Judging by what we had in our baskets I would expect to pay at least $20-25. I was pleasantly surprised when the extremely friendly and polite teenager (granddaughter of the owners) weighed my baskets and asked for $10 in return. Ten dollars ?!? Nice. Oh, and here's the bonus - they do not spray with pesticides. Very nice.
I can always count on J. to display anything she's eaten all over her face. Mission accomplished - we left the experience with full baskets, great memories, and berry stained fingers and faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment